Friday, September 19, 2008

Life, Dino and Writing

I've just been reading a couple of my friend's blogs.... and I've come to the conclusion that I am a horribly boring person. I think I've grown up too fast, or at least forgotten how to be spontaneous. It is clear that I need a holiday, or at least a week spent sleeping.

I meant to work on my uni assignments all today but so far I have procrastinated on YouTube and Facebook and other peoples' blogs. Mainly I've been reading back entries of The Bamboozle Planetarium and laughing my head off. Love the entry where you write random sayings and put them all around the house Melissa!

So this is basically going to be my "ME" entry. An update of my life, what's happening blah blah blah.

Recently, the green eyed monster has been coming out in me, thanks in part to a certain Pakistani, I'm going to call him Dino Morea for the sake of anonymity ;-)



It's not as if I am an intricately jealous person to begin with, but now the feeling creeps up on me all the time. It's stupid and silly and ridiculous but I think it must be justified. Surely other people must go through it as well?

Dino comes back in about half and hour from his aunty's place and then he'll leave again to go to his job as a security officer. It's a pretty easy job - he just stands there and watches people for eight hours (pretty tiring!), altogether an easy way to earn money.

I'm trying to learn Chinese but I keep questioning myself as to whether it's the right road I should take. To be honest, I've never really held an interest in China, and only picked the language because of it's importance in the world. But will it be important for me? Will I need Chinese in my day to day life? I wish I had picked Hindi - but I was too lazy to work it out because my uni doesn't offer it. Hindi is still a hard language, and I probably wouldn't concentrate so much on the script, but at least there's a high chance I would speak it and listen to it, if only when I watch Bollywood movies.

Would it be a waste switching now? Will I actually stick to Chinese? And will I remember it after my four years studying it are up? I just find it hard to believe that i'll be able to speak it fluently. With Hindi I am often surrounded by it, and I've long harboured a love for the language and the people who speak it. The only thing that is really holding me back is the time, money and energy i have put into Chinese. My HECs debt is going to be huge :-( And I'm confused by HECs... can you use up all your allowance by picking subjects you don't need?

Uni is confusing. I'm never doing a Masters. It is going to kill me just getting a Bachelor's Degree.

I've also been thinking about saving up for a house. It will take me ages but if I start now I'll be able to obtain an asset and then I can have an income wherever I am in the world. I am thinking I would like to buy real estate in Rocky, because at least then I'll have someone to check up on it for me. It's just the security thing of having an asset that is always going to increase.

I currently have a five year plan to tie up all my loose ends and move on with my life. I'm not sure where I will be in five years, but I want to be in the position to choose where I want to go, and I don't want anythiing to stop me. So basically, the plan is to finish my uni degree, keep increasing my work experience and contacts, save around $20,000 and consider all options. I'd like to just write for a year. I want to publish a book. Not sure how that will go and I know I'm going to be torn between commercial success and my own wants but it is something I have to consider.



I must admit, I was abit scared by something I read in a blog for The Australian newspaper:

A mate of mine, who had his first novel published two years ago, experienced at first hand the horror and crushing indignity of discovering that the fruit of his literary loins had been consigned to retail oblivion.

Walking past a bookstore one day, he noticed copies of his book sitting outside in the bargain bins. He picked up a copy and his heart sank as he glanced at the price, slashed to below half its retail value. More ominously, he noticed the anti-theft device had been removed.

It was if the bookshop was saying, “We don’t care if you pay four bucks for this or not. Just take one. In fact, take more than one – they’re just taking up valuable space here. Use both hands. Why not grab a wheelbarrow? We promise to turn a blind eye. Help yourself.”

My writer friend described it as the most depressing and humiliating moment of his life.



It's something every writer must face. You put all your energy and love into a work and it isn't even read. That would be horrible. I couldn't even imagine it. As a writer, you have to be ready to accept rejection and move on from it. My idea is to first write a non-fiction novel and then move onto fiction (possibly). Anyway, they are just dreams and probably won't eventuate.

That's enough of my ramble. I'm going to wait for Dino!

4 Stars Have Something To Say!:

Doctor Dark said...

Hmm, I never even considered that kind of fate for a writer -- that'd be quite horrifying. :-S On the subject of Chinese, my two cents is in the next link of the chain, should be sitting in your inbox right about now, but yes, uni can be a nightmare when it comes to making big decisions -- although for me uni is mainly a nightmare when the account I need to access forums keeps getting locked, days after I've called IT services to reopen it. :-SSSS

I know a guy who works as a security guard, he guards the back door of Arq so I see him quite frequently. I didn't envy him though, sitting there in the midnight/morning hours in the middle of winter. He called me his 'little lamb', but apparently he calls many people that. Sorry, random tangent!!

I agree with you on wanting to write, but I'll go into that on my blog. :-P

I like your ME entry and while I'd like to say something about what you say about assets in Rockhampton, I don't know anything about assets so I can't. :-( But I can offer you empathy regarding university and assignments.

:-P

Doctor Dark said...

Hmm, I never even considered that kind of fate for a writer -- that'd be quite horrifying. :-S On the subject of Chinese, my two cents is in the next link of the chain, should be sitting in your inbox right about now, but yes, uni can be a nightmare when it comes to making big decisions -- although for me uni is mainly a nightmare when the account I need to access forums keeps getting locked, days after I've called IT services to reopen it. :-SSSS

I know a guy who works as a security guard, he guards the back door of Arq so I see him quite frequently. I didn't envy him though, sitting there in the midnight/morning hours in the middle of winter. He called me his 'little lamb', but apparently he calls many people that. Sorry, random tangent!!

I agree with you on wanting to write, but I'll go into that on my blog. :-P

I like your ME entry and while I'd like to say something about what you say about assets in Rockhampton, I don't know anything about assets so I can't. :-( But I can offer you empathy regarding university and assignments.

:-P

Doctor Dark said...

PS: Dino looks hot!

Finbarpurpleton said...

Hi Amy,

To have hard worked on literary works go to the bargain bins is something I have always wondered about. Sure I'd like to see a book I wrote on a book store shelf but never in a place that suggests your work isn't good anymore. I've put a lot of myself into the superheroes universe imagine if it ended up in such a place. I'd be heart broken.

It's nice to see a "Me" entry. It is interesting to read on the life and times of Amy. I think you have a lot of good things to look forward to in the future. I look forward to seeing your first published book. I'll be first in line at the store to buy it!

Melissa :)