Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It makes me wonder...

I often wonder what compels people to conduct horrific acts, especially on children, and especially when they themselves are so young. Did they suffer similar abuse as children? Are the mentally sound? Are they driven by the mob? Whatever it is, I don't think I could ever understand.

Today I was watching on Sky News the sentencing of the five who abused the New Zealand toddler Nia Glassie. It's one of the most horrific stories you'll ever hear (that's not true, which makes the fact even more sad)

This is the abuse suffered by little Nia before she died, as catalogued by Stuff.co.nz

A SHORT BUT TORTURED LIFE
Abuse suffered by Rotorua three-year-old Nia Glassie during her short but tortured life included:

* Kicked in the face, causing her nose to bleed;
* Hit, slapped, punched and jumped on;
* Objects such as shoes thrown at her;
* Verbal insults, for example continually being told she was ugly;
* Forced into a television cabinet drawer;
* Dragged through the sandpit half-naked;
* Shoved into piles of rubbish;
* Made to bathe in cold water in mid-winter;
* Folded into a sofa and sat on;
* Flung against the wall;
* Held high in the air and dropped to the floor;
* Used for adult wrestling moves copied from a Playstation game;
* Whirled rapidly on a rotary clothesline until flung off;
* Put into a tumble dryer and spun on high temperature;
* Had her head and feet dangled into the fireplace when the fire was lit;
* Kicked repeatedly in the head because she was crying;
* Left lying in a coma for 36 hours without medical attention.


Here's the story:

The four-week trial over the violent death of Rotorua toddler Nia Glassie ended today with murder convictions for brothers Wiremu and Michael Curtis.

Wiremu Curtis, 19, and Michael Curtis, 22, were found guilty in Rotorua High Court this afternoon over what the Crown described as horrific ongoing abuse and beatings which equated to torture and eventually led to the three-year-old's death.

Nia's mother, Lisa Kuka, 35, was found guilty on two manslaughter charges relating to a lack of protection and failure to seek medical help for her critically injured daughter.

Kuka was Wiremu Curtis's partner at the time of the abuse.

Nia died of brain injuries in Auckland's Starship Hospital on August 3 last year, two weeks after suffering what the Crown said were fatal kicks to the head by the brothers.

...Nia's cousin Michael Pearson, 20, and Michael Curtis' partner Oriwa Kemp, 18, were found not guilty of manslaughter in relation to the death.

They were, however, found guilty along with the Curtis brothers on various other charges.


Here's the composite picture of the five that abused or neglected Nia from stuff.co.nz:



Looking at them, I just can't understand what was going through their brains while they watched Nia. It's hard for me to demonize them because you obviously have had to be seriously disturbed to have done this. And yet I am very angry, I just don't know who to direct it towards.

2 Stars Have Something To Say!:

Doctor Dark said...

Hi Amy,

I agree with you fully on this post. And I know how it feels -- I remember in Year 8 listening to a radio report in the car about a couple who did something similar to their two-year-old daughter. It made me feel really, really angry and I wanted to see the perpetrators violently killed for what they did -- and I felt so strange to feel that way, if you know what I mean. Child murder really does arouse something primal in people. I think I guess it's the inbuilt knowledge in us that children are an integral part to the continuing survival of the human race.

An issue that's got me in the last week is about what Obama found out about Wall Street executives. These people took something like $18 billion given to them, money that has our economic fate resting on it, and spent it on giving big bonuses to executives; one of their arguments was it was 'needed to keep good executives'. It's always depressing to think about how selfish/sadistic/unethical the human race has always been.

Tris.

PS: I am intending to send you my envelope next week -- I've just been wanting to figure out what to include in the accompanying letter!!

Finbarpurpleton said...

Hi Amy,

I agree with what you are saying. The human race confounds me, especially when innocent children are the victims. How can someone do something like this? Is the constant question I always ask in situations like this.

Melissa :)