Thursday, September 11, 2008

Would you ever live in another country?

One of my best friend’s, Melissa, just went back to her home country after living in Australia for two years. Canada and Australia aren’t that different, but they are still different enough to wake you up to culture shock and require you to set a side more than a while to adjust, judging from Melissa’s experience.

So what does it feel like to live in another country that is not particularly western? How does it feel to take up halfway across the world, immerse yourself in a vastly different culture which may be dependent on a religion you know little about, and even learn a language? I have always wanted to do it, but my choice of destination has left some questioning my authenticity.

I know I’m being really ambiguous, so I might as well say it. I would love to live in Pakistan for a year. I’ve been told time and time again that I will hate it, that I’ll be excited now but when I’m faced with all the daily problems such as unreliable electricity and water I will be running first thing back to my homeland. According to some, Australia is a paradise, a “civilized” country (what makes one civilized I have no idea) and one that people die on boats struggling to get to.

But when I’m on my deathbed I’m not going to say that I’m glad I stayed in Australia, living the same monotonous culture, all my life. I would regret the fact I never experienced being a foreigner and will hate myself if I die not knowing the reality of hardship. That sounds really stupid but it’s true. I know I will regret so many things in my life. I may regret losing a year to a country that is not my own. But I know I’ll regret not taste testing it more so.

So this was a very random entry, but really I just wanted to know where you would consider living? Would you ever just pick up and live overseas for a year?

2 Stars Have Something To Say!:

Doctor Dark said...

I think if you want to live in Pakistan for a year, go for it (mate etiquette :-P). But, seriously, on the subject of what people have said to you regarding excitement, there probably is a grain of truth to what they say: when someone's excited about something, it's all too easy to imagine that this excitement is fleeting and facing a lack of things we take for granted in Oz may have you contemplating a return home. But as a journalist with your ambitions, I think living in these conditions would benefit you and your work (don't take that the wrong way!!) because by experiencing these living conditions, you'll not only be able to write about exactly what it is and feels like, but as somebody who's lived in a 'first world' country all her life, you also understand the factors that result in people having to live like this.

What I was trying to say is I support your decision. :-P I think you're right, that people should experience at least one other culture in their lifetimes, but sometimes it's difficult... which culture? Is it right/wrong to visit some countries and not others, if you know what I mean.

Enjoying the return to fertile blogginess!

Sojourner said...

[all my comments are badly late, but can't help dispensing the advisory]
I don't know if what I say is valid, but a country like Australia is not diverse enough for you to get an experience of being an 'alien'. But where I am from, that is more possible. There are enough languages and cultures to experience...
I used to be thrilled just to think about going to another place and making new friends...
I am still thrilled. I have made some amazing friends. But just like anything else, you will also see the bad side of it.
But when you are of a different skin color, even if you know a language, you are still going to be treated like a foreigner -- with more care and more expectations (for rewards) or simply because you are a guest, you are going to feel the hospitality, or disdain. There is no saying how long the hospitality or disdain will last, but when you are away from home, you are never really home.
I hate to say this, but if there aren't enough of your skin color out there, you will first learn what it means to be a foreigner, not what it means to be some one in that country (though that distinction of being a foreigner may mean nothing in some situations). But with luck and some friendly people (very likely that you will find some), you are going to get what you are looking for.
There is no substitute for going somewhere and finding things out first hand... especially true for a journalist... right?
My advice (if I were to give some to myself): if there is a need, do it. [ or find a need :)... get an assignment, make a short trip, get yourself to know what awaits and make a reasonably educated decision. Ask someone who has been there, but separate out facts and make your own opinion.]
If you don't want to regret it later, do it.
Most importantly, if you don't like it anymore, you should not be afraid to give up and go back home.
No amount of preparation can put you completely at ease, when our (so called) standard of living is altered... but you can tell yourself that it can go to unexpected lows. But also know that people do live there and it is possible to live there and you have a task at hand (that is what I meant by need) and you can go home after that.
Don't fall in love with a local culture, most likely it just wants to be left alone. Respect is welcome. If you can, stay detached and observe.